What we Believe
WHAT DO WE BELIEVE?
Doctrinal Statement – the following is the Declaration of Faith as stated in the Crossroads Bible Church Constitution and Bylaws.
- We accept the Bible as God’s infallible and inerrant Word (2 Peter 1:16-21), and our only rule of faith and practice (2 Timothy 3:16, 17 cf: Psalm 19:7-11).
- There is one God (Deuteronomy 6:4), Creator of all things (Acts 17:22-29), infinitely perfect (Matthew 5:48), and eternally existing (Psalm 90:1, 2), as Father (John 6:27), Son (Hebrews 1:5-9), and Holy Spirit (Acts 5:3-4). (cf: Matthew 28:19; John 14:23, 16:18; 1 John 5:18)
- We accept Jesus Christ as God’s divine Son (Matthew 4:16, 17), conceived by the Holy Spirit (Matthew 1:20), virgin born (Isaiah 7:14; Matthew 1:24-25), who died on the cross as a substitutional sacrifice for our sin (2 Corinthians 5:21; Hebrews 2:14-17); He arose bodily from the dead (1 Corinthians 15:38), and ascended into heaven (Acts 1:9), where He is now, our interceding High Priest (Acts 4:14-16). He will come again in person to judge the living and the dead (Acts 1:10-11; Matthew 25:31-34). (cf: John 1:1-14).
- Man was created in the image of God (Genesis 1:27), but fell into sin (Genesis 2:15-17; 3:6-7). We have all sinned in our own right (Romans 3:23) and need a Savior to save us from the penalty of our sins (Romans 6:23). Salvation is by God‘s grace through faith in Christ (Ephesians 2:8-9). (cf:Romans 3:1-26; 1 John 5:10-12).
- The church is an elect company of believers (1 Corinthians 1:1, 2), who by the influence of the Holy Spirit were baptized into one body (1 Corinthians 12:13). We accept as Christians those who have been born again (John 3:3-5). We baptize by immersion only (Romans 6:3-5), and receive into our local membership only penitent, baptized (immersed) believers (Acts 2:41). (cf: Ephesians 2:19-22).
- Baptism following confession (Romans 10:10), is an act of obedience to Christ (Matthew 28:19), entered into by the believer upon personal conviction through the Holy Spirit (Acts 8:35-38). (cf: Acts 19:35).
- Marriage has been ordained and instituted by God. We believe the Bible defines “marriage” as the exclusive covenantal union of one man and one woman as a lifetime commitment. Any civil government’s sanction of a union will be recognized as a legitimate marriage by this church only to the extent that it is consistent with the definition of “marriage” found in these Articles.
- Legitimate sexual relations are exercised solely within marriage. Hence, sexual activities outside of marriage are inconsistent with the teachings of the Bible and this church.
(Revised statement approved: December 2016 by the Council of Elders at CBC.)